Friday, December 23, 2005

Betting Bank

I record all bets here as 'points'.

Actual sums of money are somewhat immaterial. I started with £250 in a horse racing fund some ten years ago. I grew this to £2oooo. Some friends joined me in my fun and we started going for both capital growth and income. I have had 3 losing seasons in the horse racing fund over the last 16 seasons.

In general terms my season's strategy is to turnover each fund 10 times, earn 110% returns on turnover, and so essentially double the fund size. I then take most of this in income in the form of dividends and re-invest the rest to increase stakes for the following year.

A few years ago I set up a sports fund with some other friends, and latterly a 'trading' fund for certain Betfair markets. Next year I'm starting a specific golf fund with one of the sports friends. My friends are minor investors (no fees!). It's useful for me:
1) Because this is a lonely job and it's nice to share the highs and lows with others.
2) Because it keeps me honest. I have to announce all bets prior to events.
3) Because having to do the above makes me think twice before being completely idiotic (well sometimes).


I run them all the same way - essentially as a Unit Trust - with a fund price.

When I bet, I bet a proportion of my fund per event. This is decided at the start of each season for the fund - eg start of flat/jumps racing season for the horse racing fund, or start of football season for sports fund.


10 points is equivalent to 1.5% of my horse racing fund.

No comments:

Post a Comment