Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Wednesday 2nd September


2009 Challenge Fund (£8570)



All those trainers queueing up to use Kieren Fallon got me thinking yesterday. And the conclusion is that I'm giving up betting on flat racing. I'll stick with the pattern races but ditch the rest.

This obviously isn't just about Fallon (though regulars know my opinion of that little bag of shite). But when I got to thinking about my profit and loss, and about my overall enjoyment of the sport I came down on the side of just giving it up.

There's too much crap racing. Often 5 meetings a day full of shitty little races framed for the bookies. I started the season with Veitch-like ideas of keeping on top of it (and if you can keep on top of it you will have a significant edge), but have personally found it not just impossible, but so mind-numbingly boring that I'd actually rather go back and work in an office than have to try.

Then there's the persistent overwatering – evening out draw biases, and turning many meetings into potluck, even without the incorrect going reports. You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to be concerned about this – just look at the state of Ayr. And as for Ascot...

Even the festivals have left me cold this year – 4 days at York was just greed, greed, greed.

Flat racing is in a sorry state (and this in a year where we actually have a wonder horse),and doesn't seem to have a clue how to police itself. I like the idea of voting with my feet the week Fallon is welcomed back into the fold like some sort of prodigal son.



So, whilst I'm watching the two novice hurdles at Hereford this afternoon....

Mid-week golf madness.
Gonzalez £10ew at 80/1
Na/Gonzalez £5ew double
Na/Dredge £5ew double

US Open Tennis - Guccione beat Cueva £150 4/6 (the market movement a touch worrying on this and I fear my tip-toe back into tennis barking bets may be shortlived!).

2 comments:

  1. Sad to hear toots.. Racing loses another punter which it can ill afford.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:28 PM

    Agree with you 100% toots .The flat is an impossible puzzle to fathom.I gave up trying a while ago .I can't think of any other sport with as many bent people involved on a daily basis. Just think of the time it will free up to find an angle where you have a reasonable chance of a return ...Jonah

    ReplyDelete