Saturday, January 20, 2007

Racing - Saturday 20th Jan

Haydock 12:50
Carthalawn 2/1
Silver Sedge 5/2
Salinas 9/2
Shares 7/1

A bit surprised to see Salinas being backed this morning. A theme today is whether to firgive a horse a bad run last time out. If you do so with Silver Sedge he has probably a favourite's chance here.

Silver Sedge 4pts win at 3/1



Haydock 1:25
Afsoun 6/4
Mounthenry 11/2
Mister McGoldrick 11/2
Arcalis 12/1
Torkinking 12/1
Overstrand 16/1

The pace seems everything in this race with four front runners. In an 8 runner race ideally I'd like to find a horse to come from off the pace to place at a big price. Both Arcalis and Overstrand are possible fits, but with plenty of doubts about them as well. I'll wait for now. No bet.



Haydock 1:55
Turpin Green 6/1
Leading Man 6/1
The Outlier 6/1
Model Son 6/1
Snakebite 6/1
Irish Raptor 6/1
Wild cane Ridge 8/1

That tissue makes it fairly clear how open I reckon this is! Will perhaps know more about the going closer to the race and may fiddle around depending on late prices. For now, no bet.



Wincanton 2:15
Principe Azzurro 5/2
Kaldouas 4/1
Go for One 9/2
No Guarantees 9/2
Mandingo Chief 5/1

Principe Azzurro cost us the other week but I thought he ran really well. He tops my novice chase ratings out of this lot, and I'm hoping he'll get into a rhythm, jump well and expose the techniques of the others, none of whom have looked particuarly fluent.

Principe Azzurro 6pts win at 10/3

Plus a three star bet (I've been fiddling around with staking on this - so just treat it as bet of the day for now).



Wincanton 3:50
Maletton 9/2
Nykel 5/1
Youllbesolucky 7/1
Almost Broke 9/1
Le Jaguar 11/1
Puntal 11/1
Iron Man 16/1
All in the Stars 16/1
out The Black 16/1

Another tricky looking race. Obviously my price for Youllbesolucky is wrong, but I have to punt him having put him in so short. All in the Stars, as you all must know by now is one of my faves having been the last leg of a large treble last year - at Wincanton. I should have deserted him by now but can't stop myself.

Youllbesolucky 4pts win at 14/1+
All in the Stars 2pts win at any price you like - say 50s.


Lingfield 3:10
Fajr 3/1
Marajaa 4/1
Happy as Larry 4/1
Vortex 12/1
Red Spell 11/1

Between the front three I think. fajr solid enough. Marajaa may just be flattered on the run behind Areyoutalkingtome, especially as his trainer was on fire at the time. Happy as Larry ran OK in a tough race last week and back in trip in slightly easier race could get back into winning ways.

Happy as Larry 4pts win at 5/1



Lingfield 3:40
Bonus 3/1
Qadar 11/2
Maltese Falcon 11/2
Saviours Spirit 10/1
Secret Night 10/1
Royal Engineer 20/1?

Qadar looks to have a bot to do in first time blinkers trapped wide though he should get the pace he needs. Maltese Falcon may get taken on for lead to do for him. Bonus looks solid. I'll hope he drifts. For now no bet.



Other three star bet.
Instead of pressing up on Orient to win, I've taken them in the Asian Handicap with draw no bet.

2 comments:

  1. Ouch - Principe really looked the likely winner to me when he fell. Leaves me with another painful day, not helped by Bonus loss in the photo, though I did back Celtic Major at 14s and The Outlier at 8s to small points to dig me personally out of a hole.

    Which again shows the importance of looking at the tissue as much as the recommendations. My last minute bets are outperforming my early price bets this season, and I haave a feeling that will continue to be the case in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:52 PM

    Also backed principe Azzurro after your write-up and would agree that it had more left than the others and looked the likely winner me to but sh1t happens...

    ReplyDelete