Monday, December 29, 2008

2009 - a new challenge

I've decided 2009 will be a consolidation year. Failing that, it will be my last year fully "professional".

Actually I won't be wholly full-time in 2009 either, which is why I can take this approach. I will be doing a little bit of work here and there to oil my creaking finances. My four years so far could be described as great, good, bad and mediocre. Realism dictates three strikes and I'm out.

The new fund (the 1% fund) is actually a reversion to the tried and trusted methodology I used when I was "semi-professional" a few years back. I'm hoping the more conservative staking, and reduced need for monthly income will do the trick for me, both in terms of capital growth, and in terms of my peace of mind.

I will post up clear bets in the morning as usual. However, I will then pursue bets during the day - for example in-running, and trades - that won't be announced beforehand. The following day I will list all bets made, with comments. Hopefully that will provide both some decent tips and an interesting narrative. No doubt I will prove occasionally brilliant, usually average and often imbecilic, with the odd tilt thrown in for good measure.

The bets won't change much. I'll still be doing tissue-based racing bets, and ratings-based football bets. I'll also be able to detail ante-post bets, and long-term books and similar.


I am continuing with the "barking bets" separately as these have been the one bright light of 2008 and should continue to grow and provide a small income in 2009. If I could get that fund up to around £10k I'd be able to remain full-time in 2010 regardless of the success of the 1% fund. Hope springs eternal!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:04 PM

    Toots

    While settling in my new home (yep; there were one or two causalities from my handicapping library during the move) and waiting for a broadband connection I had time to reflect on my bets of 2008.

    I’m glad you’ve decided to go back to your old ways. Upon my reflextive weeks away from racing and reading your material again I can honestly say that your method/approach is rock solid.

    I am now your disciple! Don’t Give Up!

    Look forward to punting some of your selections in 2009 and adopting your approach during my exploits on polytrack.

    BTW my new gaff is a hop skip and a jump away from Bath Racecourse. Yep it’s a duff track but if you are in the area, fancy a day out and want to stay overnight you are most welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Toad - here's to a more settled 2009 for both of us.

    There used to be a fun Friday evening meeting at Bath in June sometime - I'll bear it in mind - cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The new fund will start with a bit of a whimper as I'll be busy New Years Eve/New Years Day!

    ReplyDelete