Sunday, December 02, 2007

Sunday 2nd December

I'm not much one for the supposed great moments in racing. For me the sport is so wrapped up in my betting, that the great moments are things like Atavus winning at 33/1 or What's Up Boys storming up the Cheltenham hill to win the Coral cup at 40/1. Inglis Drever and All in the Stars the final legs of unbelievable trebles. That sort of thing.


However, my first ever racing memory (as seemingly for my entire generation) was Crisp in the National and a few other sights have locked themselves into my storage tanks regardless of betting. And they are nearly always chasers. Times when a big brave horse does something you thought nigh on impossible, and makes you feel humble and privileged to have seen it. Of most relevance was that I was at Chepstow the day Carvill's Hill slaughtered the field in the Welsh National. I can still see him now bombing along the far side, impossibly clear. Imperious. And there's no doubt in my mind that Denman was even more impressive yesterday.


Newbury is probably close to being called off if they've enjoyed the same overnight weather as Shropshire, so I'd be mad to bet there. No doubt I will anyway, but let's have a day off the challenge.



No comments:

Post a Comment