Monday, September 10, 2007

Monday 10 th Sept

How bad is it? I was offered the possibility of some work over the weekend. I didn't turn it down flat. I didn't feel able to.


The US Open tennis was good for me personally, and generally the “books” I run through tournaments are providing me succour when all “match” bets are failing miserably. However, the pverty of my sitiation can be seen by the fact the £500 challenge is back to where it started, which is hopeless considering we were up over £750 just a while ago.


With regards the flat season, the racing fund is down to its lowest mark (not counting dividends) for four seasons. Group/Listed races are showing a profit this season, but everything else is a disaster. I'm ready to turn my back on competitive races entirely – something I've been edging towards for a while.


This morning I backed Bankable at Newcastle, in a race I would never have comtemplated previously. The 9/4 I took seems to have mutated into 6/4 this morning which is just the encouragement I need regardless of end result. It could be a strange couple of months prior to the jumps season...


3 comments:

  1. maybe you should consider a rest from the game until the national hunt season. Understand that you are a professional punter and this may not be an option but it seems like battery recharge is required so you dont fall out of love with horse racing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting thought toad.

    The truth is, unlike football, which filled every minute of my waking life until girls and drink and stuff got in the way, I'm not sure I've ever been "in love" with racing.

    Without the gambling I'd barely give it a second look. This has always put me at a disadvantage, I feel, to the "anorak" brigade. When I was 11 I could tell you the position of each of the 92 football teams, all the scores that week, and who scored etc, etc. They are like that still, except with speed and form ratings.

    I sometimes forget all about a horse and have to look at my notes, at which point I realise not only do I know him well but actually had a decent bet on him only the week before! And I generally have a very good memory, so something else is at play here.

    As for taking a break - from the racing side at least - that is the supposed sensible option. The long-break option has never worked for me though. I just sit and stew about the black hole the accounts are in, and when I come back I'm still starting from a "season's low". A couple of losers and I'm right back on semi-tilt.
    I think it may be the (only) significant drawback of a spreadsheet/fund-based approach.

    Usually things come right just when you least expect them too. Indeed this has happened so often you'd think by now I'd have learnt to cope with the troughs better, wouldn't you?

    So, that remains my biggest weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (another pearl of wisdom toots)

    My view is that when things are not going your way, learning to cope with the internal demons is one of the biggest issues facing a novice punter like me.

    Having the experience of knowing that you can ride out the storm that is the long losing run WITHOUT going on the tilt certainly helps. I’m gaining that experience now..

    ReplyDelete