Thursday, November 08, 2007

Thurs 8th Nov

I've just read Dave Nevison's book. It zips along. In fact I read it in one sitting. Then again, I did the same with Frank Worthington's “One Hump or Two?”. I enjoyed it thoroughly but think it may have raised more questions for me than answers.


Some of the inconsistencies actually kept me awake last night, which I guess puts me in the anorak class as opposed to the type who spends his evenings chasing 'ropey old tote bird' types around hotel bars!


I'm interested how he can be banned from every spread betting company, yet can get £10000 antepost on both Detroit City and Kauto Star. I'm especially intrigued by the latter as I remember well being knocked back to £50 personally, and I only wanted a ton on!


I'm also taken by his tissue compiling skills. He has a forecast 5/2 fave in at 10/1 on his tissue on one page. and throughout the discrepancies between his prices and the bookies are similarly large.

When that happens to me my first thought is that it's me who has made a mistake, and most times that's the right thought!


Still, there's always something to take from these books and I'm grateful to Dave, not just for entertaining me, but for reminding me of the old adage “Scared money is dead money”. Reading his gung-ho approach to betting and staking I was left thinking that the title of the book was completely wrong. It should have been called “A Bloody Good Loser”. By which I mean, it seems he has a real edge in how he copes with losing money. My guess is his days as an FX trader innured him against fear of big numbers. Also, he leaves someone more detail-conscious to manage the books. This means, unlike me, he isn't obsessed by his current fund price, current losing streak and lack of liquidity. He seems to be able to drop telephone numbers daily and still get back in the saddle and head straight for the guns. This adage joins my “post-it note wall”.


Today's racing is terrible. Slipperytoad will be glad to hear that the sandpit actually looks more inviting than both jumps meetings!


Wolves 8:50
Chia doesn't win. She's a very consistent filly though, and would be a good bet for a place at evens.



£500 Challenge
8:50 Wolves
£15 Chia to place at Evens


1 comment:

  1. welcome to the dark side tooting. In the US at the moment but back this weekend and itching to back into the saddle on the sand..

    ReplyDelete