Monday, April 27, 2009

Monday 27th April

2009 Challenge Fund (£12300 - £80 in play unaccounted)
Current stake - £120

Patrick Veitch's book is quite interesting. Not sure how much relevance it has to us mere mortals though. Particularly when he got into ownership and seemed to go through the looking glass. It reads between the lines as though he became a sort of clearing house for stable gambles. At heart, though he is clearly a very good race reader, able to see opportunities I certainly can't, a view based on not being able to remember personally gambling on any one of the horses he mentions having a “double smash”on! He also has a proper gambler's fortitude, a severe limitation of mine.

On the whole I'd recommend waiting for the paperback or a cheap copy on Amazon. Instead I'd buy Ed Smith's “What Sport Tells Us About Life”. It's a fascinating book in its own right, having a stab at such conundrums as 'why did Zidane head-butt Materazzi', for example? However, I keep finding as I read it, that if I transpose the words “professional sportsman” for “professional gambler” the book takes on a whole new layer of meaning. It's certainly made me think about my own gambling in a way the Veitch book didn't – which is probably why I'm about £10 million poorer than the latter!

Newcastle are being backed today as though a win is a formality. I've saved £500 so far not backing the obvious “value” at the tailend of the season - football has certainly changed in this country lately. However, the draw has to be a big player here. If Portsmouth actually try, they certainly shouldn't be longer than 5/2. I'll play £50.



Barking Bets (Banked £1375/Current fund £2370 – 1 bet in play unaccounted)


The last race at Newcastle a possible – the rain falling prompts caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment