Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tuesday 28th April


2009 Challenge Fund (£12470 - £80 in play unaccounted)

Current stake - £120

Newcastle didn't let us down last night!

I'll take a position in the Champions League – unusually for me.

Chelsea and Arsenal come into these ties as underdogs, but I think they should be much closer in the betting. Both, especially Chelsea, are finishing strongly, and don't have a league championship to worry about. Plus both play the second leg at home. You can get 5/1 on them both to qualify and that looks a pretty decent bet. I wouldn't be laying over 4/1 that's for sure.

And at the risk of putting eggs in one basket, this week they have the chance to set themselves up. The first legs of these ties are usually tight affairs, and so the draw is surely a bigger player than the betting suggests. We can thrown in the MK Dons game (one of those crazy end of season prices – I see Kevin Pullein has gone for MK Dons tonight on that very basis – I think the draw is probably the better bet, something validated by most the other similar bets I've been avoiding this tail-end)

£120 Chelsea and Arsenal to qualify double at 5/1 (9/2 ok)
£45 draw Barcelona/Chelsea to return £160
£45 draw Man Utd/Arsenal to return £160
£45 draw MK Dons/Northampton to return £150
£15 treble draws to return £600






Barking Bets (Banked £1375/Current fund £2420 – 1 bet in play unaccounted)


There are short priced horses today, notably Master Minded. Not keen to back a horse that's flopped last two Aprils though.

Flying Winner 9:25 Hove may be a better banker.

9 comments:

  1. slipperytoad10:29 AM

    Off to Bath Races today on quest to master my ultimate nemesis after Lingfield.

    Take a look at the 4.30 and 5.40 for a potential barking bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:40 PM

    sORRY, NOT CLEAR ABOUT THE BARKING BETS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:44 PM

    Sorry,sent last message in error thus the Caps.
    I actualyy meant to ask for guidance as to what the barking bets were. I find this site fascinating by the way and read it with great interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anon - welcome.

    Neither am I !

    Slipperytoad seems to have picked out two right tough races for consideration. maybe he'll come back and explain, hopefully once he's walked off Bath racecourse with pockets stuffed with fifties!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slipperytoad1:27 PM

    Let me explain live from the course. The reason I have chosen these races is purely based on stats for this type of race. The first few in the betting have a positive expectation over time. I'll let you know how I get on.

    Slipperytoad, you live on course pundit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Slipperytoad2:02 PM

    For the record I fancy Moonshine Creek in the 4.30 but dutch with Riqaab. In the 5:40 I fancy Speak the Truth (dutch with Piste)

    Slipperytoad - Live from sunny Bath Racecourse!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:03 PM

    I would say that you had a very pleasant afternoon !!! Well done.

    I'm off to Ascot tomorrow so I hope someone has some advice (sensible advice I mean !!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Mr Toad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. slipperytoad9:33 PM

    thanks.. anon/toots. Picked up a fair wedge from the bets in addition to pace/draw pointers for future races. .. overall a very satisfying day

    ReplyDelete