Friday, September 12, 2008

Friday 12th September

£500 Challenge Bet” (£1085– 5 bets inplay – accounted)

The racing should be the sort for me today but I've all but given up. The Doncaster Cup looks tricky. I put the front two in at 4/5 so there should be juice opposing them, but I can't find anything from the outsiders that I want to pin my colours to. I'll sit it out.

The other race involves Spacious for whom the odds look right – she's been swooping late and fast in big fields though and this small field has to be a worry – especially if Frankie steals a lead – and presumably this is a prep race for Autumn targets.

So, I'll put the weekend football up today instead. Three away teams.

Chelsea's price is a puzzle. I have them in at 8/13 and they're 11/10. Robinho's that good? It can't be Chelsea cast-off Wright-Phillips. I guess the bookies are expecting some bandwaggon jumpers. Big price all the same.

Derby are pooh. Saturday Gambler has been opposing them all season and it's time we joined in, with a side we've been keen to be with so far this season.

The team we remain against so far, and with no result, is Shrewsbury. My local paper points up some injury problems in the front line as well. Gillingham look like they're going to give it a good go this season and my tissue has this much more competitively priced.

Chelsea £9 win at 11/10
Sheff Utd £9 win at 8/5
Gillingham £9 at 10/11ish +0.5 Asian
£3 treble all three to win at around 16/1

(When there is a timelag with the matches I won't place the Chelsea bet until after the other two have been played and if they both have won, I won't place the bet at all – relying on the treble only).


One other bet today.

Strictly Come Dancing starts again, and I'll spread one day's bet out over the tournament for interest – given it's my wife's favourite show. Last year the semi final looked completely smelly to me, so we'll be mindful of judge manipulation.

Perusing the list of celebs the two I've decided to side with initially are:

Christine Bleakley – The One Show is remarkably watchable for the guff that it is and that's helped immeasurably by Christine. The show is on at just the right time (after the filler programme weeknights on BBC2) for her to get fan momentum; allegedly she can dance; and she has the girl next door feel about her that doesn't alienate the core voters (middle-aged women).

Austin Healey. It was a toss-up between him and Mark Foster for the male athlete. Foster will probably be the beefcake, but Healey already has reality TV track record and is a bit of a cheeky chappie. Foster also must have shoulders like wardrobes and could look a bit clunky.


Bleakley £1 win at 10/1 and £1.5 best woman at 5/1
Healey £1 win at 10/1 and £1.5 best man at 5/1




Barking Bets” (Banked £875/Current bank £3232)
Still a perfect week. I get the jitters when that happens – which is not helpful!

Possible bet
3:50 Doncaster – dutch front two at 1.2ish




Snippet of the day”
No corporations for the new-age sons”

(I watched Quadrophenia last night and remembered my own lost weekend on the beach at Brighton 1979ish, The Jam and a mini mod revival. Sans scooter though.)

2 comments:

  1. A slight flaw in my thinking - Chelsea and Derby both kick off in the evening!

    Got lucky with that barking bet- to the naked eye Spacious never looked in the lead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Toots,Chelsea for the last three years have been a cash cow for me.As a team I find them fascinating,weak up front but a midfield in my opinion is the strongest in world.To have so few defeats in that time imo is down to that midfield,Drogba as a finisher is ordinary and Anelka just does not seem to fit in with the Chelsea System.Having said all that good finishers in the Premier are as scarce as Rocking Horse shit,under 2.5 goals for me in that game.

    ReplyDelete