Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sunday 21st September

£500 Challenge Bet” (£1015– 5 bets inplay – accounted)

Fair play to Faldo with the foursomes. He may make me eat humble pie. I'm half tempted to get out of yesterday's bet for a small loss, so that I can sit back and cheer on Europe without anything else on my mind. This is one of the few sporting events my wife really likes and it's hard work pretending I'm 100% in the European camp!

Football prior to that though.

Chelsea are 5/4 in places. That indicates two teams equally matched, which I guess overall is fair, though my ratings have Chelsea the higher-rated team. Add that Man Utd are stuttering on this season's form and 5/4 becomes the merest whiff of value.

Everton are a very good team when Arteta and Cahill play. 11/8 looks pretty big to me for a team who have don't concede much away from home against a Hull team who may have shown their true colours against Wigan rather than against Fulham.


And as for Presvis being favourite for the Cambridgeshire, I may be the only who thinks people are looking at the wrong Cumani horse. That looked to be Presvis's day. Meanwhile buried in the pack in a race that wouldn't have suited, having a nice prep was Ask the Butler. His run reminded me of Lost Soldier Three's sighter for York a few years ago, which later formed part of the Fallon trial. I'll play.

Chelsea £15 at 5/4
Everton £15 at 11/8

Ask the Butler £2.50 at 16/1



Barking Bets” (Banked £1075/Current bank £2920)
I ended up with three plays yesterday. The Catterick maiden put me in a hole; Lady Deauville started the rescue bid, and laying Bolton when they scored saw me get my hand onto the parapet. Nearly 300 bets in this fund now – I'll share some stats tomorrow.

No obvious bet today.


Snippet of the day”
Last night at dinner a friend said that we were heading for “barbarism” due to the systemic failure of the financial markets. My wife was puzzled.

I don't see that at all. Just because there's a recession doesn't mean people won't need hair-cuts.”

3 comments:

  1. billy will be on in a minute saying how I should keep the draw on-side!

    Shaping up as a potentially very expensive day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:31 PM

    Funny you should say that Toots,I remember reading a story about you which read that in your pre Betfair days you often did the win and the draw.In your opinion has the value changed,by the way not having a go just love to read your thoughts.
    Billy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly need to take stock Billy!

    This season so far I've mainly done split bets (two or three teams) and win betting seems to have fit best.
    If you like the defensive element of the bet has been betting more than one match.

    As the season (and ratings) settle down and we go for the maximum bet on just the one match I guess I'll be more likely to consider the safer draw no bet/asians/laying approach.

    Reviewing today I probably should have laid Man Utd (or possibly saved/dutched on 1-1) and possibly done draw no bet Everton. Easy after the event!

    ReplyDelete