Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sunday 13th July

£500 Challenge Bet” (£946 – 1 bet inplay – accounted)

I hope some of you did save on Archipenko. A friend e-mailed to say he was put off by the price drift to 14/1 – whereas that was all the encouragement I needed to take a little insurance.

"Kemberton's WI treasure hunt and cream tea" is the highlight of this sunny Salopian day, meaning I'll miss the two big races. They both look mighty competitive. The obvious bet is Moonstone and O'Brien to sweep up another Group 1, but I just can't bring myself to back a maiden in such a race at under 2/1.

Besides I feel like playing up yesterday's free insurance money on a couple of longshots. In the Irish Oaks I'm going to follow Rae Guest. He and Geoff Wragg are the trainers I always keep an eye out for improving fillies. Rosa Grace has no chance on form here, but it looks like the step up in trip is going to help and she could just be a summer bloomer. Either my modest bet has caused Stan James and co to dive for cover this morning, or someone else is also having a tickle.

The second bet is at Chantilly where I'm going to give a second chance to the horse who would have made me rich in the derby had he (a) stayed and (b) been good enough! This time, back to a more suitable trip on a track that should suit, Kandahar Run will try to atone for my Derby sin of hope over reality!


Rosa Grace £5ew at 40/1
Kandahar Run £7.50ew at 22/1





Barking Bets” (Banked £500/Current bank £1086)

I've put the cricket down as an accounted loser which leaves us with a horror week. It's our first week of real losses – only 7 wins from 11 bets. The good news is that the staking system looks to have saved us, and we're still in the game. I'm more positive about this approach than I was when I started, and seeing how we can survive horror weeks is reassuring – as long as we don't have another one next week that is!


2 comments:

  1. Tooting misses O'Brien Group 1 winner, again, shocker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:13 AM

    Tell me about it, can not believe how well his horses are running. Likewise, I keep not backing them and they keep on rolling in. Now I'm too afraid to bet on his at all, because I know as soon as I part with my money, his streak will come to an end.

    ReplyDelete