Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tuesday 10th March


2009 Challenge Fund (£12010 - £820 in play accounted)

This month's stake - £120

The going is a real worry today. Nearly all my potential bets are horses who prefer better ground, and if it proved to be soft after the first race I'm not sure where I go. So there's a watching brief for later on, and the staking is provisional, but will give an idea as to strength of feeling.


Supreme.

Plenty of reasons to get after the favourite in a big field like this. I'll go mob handed with the English. Torphichen (who we have in doubles as well based on Pipe having a good week); Red Moloney (who may be soft, and may not travel away from home but again I'm following the trainer); and Michael Flips (whose Kempton time is eyecatching and is priced at a small trainer's price).
Torphichen £60 at 6/1
Red Moloney £30 at 12/1
Micheal Flips £30 at 14/1



Arkle
I keep coming back to Kalahari King. That 4th in the Supreme last year (on soft gorund) was pretty good and he's looked the part since, albeit untested in graded class.I have him ante post and in various doubles and will go in again, unless the ground's very bad. Calgary Bay was completely outpaced in the Supreme last year, and is considered soft by many. He still looked good at Cheltenham – even if only beating a woeful Kicks for Free. I'll have to back him now he's drifting and, and throw the French horse in as well – Original.
Kalahari King (£70 already) £50 at 14/1
Calgary Bay £40 at 7/1
Original £30 at 20/1



William Hill
Personally think Star De Mohaison would go close to winning the Gold Cup on good ground, and should have run in that rather than this off topweight. Still, I have to back him given that – again soft ground would be no good. Lothian Falcon for the smaller bet - off bottomweight – tough and genuine.
Star De Mohaison £90 at 10/1
Lothian Falcon £30 at 25/1



Champion Hurdle.
Even if you're against Binocular you still have to find which of the other 12 realisitic contenders will beat him! My way into the race is that there's going to be a free for all up front and the hold up, horses who travel and stay could run into the places. Whiteoak fits the bill, and though the price has gone, you can get 16/1 ew 1,2,3,4 places. Of the others Crackaway Jack has been a silly price all year, but is now drifting to where he should be (same price as Ashkazar). I'm biased of course, but I keep seeing him cantering round the field last year, and think he's likely to be well suited to staying on for a place late – and 7/1 looks fair for that.
Whiteoak £30 ew at 16/1
Crackaway Jack £60 place at 7/1




Don't care for the other two races, though I'll do the placepot and some get rich quick doubles and trebles. Kalahari King and Star De Mohaison for the double. Good luck everyone.


Football.

One ratings bet – Morecambe in grand form, probably as good a team as Bury despite placings.
Morecambe £50 win at 7/4 and £70 draw no bet at Evens


and the draw system
Doncaster £35 at 23/10
Aldershot £35 at 23/10
Lincoln £35 at 23/10
£15 treble







Barking Bets (Banked £1375/Current bank £2090 – 1 bet in play unaccounted)
This week's stake - £210.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch.

    Kalahari King so close - Lee gave him a bit too much to do really.

    Then when Star de mohaison was pulled out - I plumped for Maljimar!

    Then Crackaway Jack - ran just as I envisaged - bar coming 4th when I wanted 3rd!

    Garde Champetre clawed a few quid back and improved my aintree ante post voucher, then United added to the seconds - but at least Ruby got one on the board.

    Kalahari King was my bet of the week, and kicked off most of my get rich quick doubles, so not a good day!

    ReplyDelete