Friday, February 08, 2008

Friday 8th February

The African Nations Cup was the book I had earmarked to replace the salary my wife has given up by going part-time. I thought it was plain sailing, but now not only are Egypt playing just to keep me in profit, but also to avoid Cameroon making me squeal like a pig. Cameroon were desperate last night – a sort of disorganised Bolton – surely they can't....



A decent card at Kempton today.


2:05 Kempton

Barbers Shop 5/4

Oscar Park 3/1

Russian Around 7/2

Star Shot 20/1


Henderson should have a line on Russian Around but I still like the latter's chances. Whilst Oscar Park probably should be 2nd fave, this looks short and fast enough for him, and he ran like a dog last time. Russian Around on the other hand, overcame what looked like a bounce and ran well last time, and this speed track should suit. Assuming the dead eight run he looks a fair ew bet – seeing as he's 1.5 the place on betfair currently.



3:10 Kempton

Gwanako evens

Miss Mitch 9/4

Mister Quasimodo 9/1

Nirvana Du Bourg 20/1


Nicholls seems to have really sussed out these graduation chases and I'm a bit wary of opposing him again. We have backed Mister Quasimodo before and this is more like his thing after losing his way upped in grade. He probably prefers a more galloping track though. Miss Mitch jumped beautifully first time out, and was going similarly well until putting her hind legs in the water at Wincanton. There is a doubt about her wellbeing and confidence after that, but on the other hand she gets loads of weight from most of these. I thik I'll play, and save on Quasimodo, and do the double. And why not aim for the moon and treble up in the tricky handicap with Briery Fox and Herecomestanley.





However, after last week's success I'm inclined to stick with tomorrow's football for the challenge bet. And I don't see much reason this weekend not to continue the somewhat boring, but considerably profitable theme of opposing Newcastle, Bury and Liverpool!


Aston Villa are 8/11 with me to beat Newcastle who continue to lack invention and cutting edge. Villa score freely, and although they do concede, Newcastle haven't scored more than one away from home since August. Villa were beaten somewhat surreally by Fulham at the weekend and that may explain why they are nearly Evens in place, along with the lingering punter belief that Keegan is going to turn the oil tanker around rather than run it aground.



£500 Challenge

Aston Villa £20 beat Newcastle at 10/11+

3 comments:

  1. No damage done on the racing. I sold some of my Miss Mitch bet when it was clear she was going to have a confidence booster round the wide outside and put it on a soft leading Mister Quasimodo. Very pleasing (and rare) when an in-running decision works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:45 PM

    Hit the bar with the placepot had it for 4 quid Miss Mitch spoiled the party ...good call with Herecomes and Briary !!though you did say have a saver on the winner I let it ride .... saved a tenner and lost 8K!! Good one !!...Jonah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - unlucky! As it happens I decided to make myself too busy to bet on the Herecomestanley race - I knew that if I was sat near the machine I'd play - that shrewd, disciplined decision probably cost me a 20/1 winner and the forecast. And of all things I kept myself busy cleaning the toilet!

    Should, woulda, coulda...

    ReplyDelete