Thursday, February 21, 2008

Thursday 21st February

Oh well, as some of you say, the golf was at least fun! Woods and Mickelson pulled their games out of the fire to set us back and in the end we made a bearable loss. I'll put it on the scrapheap of half decent ideas, but I'd be interested how anyone gets on should they pursue it further.


I should have kept it simple as my original bet was going to be Appleby to beat Clark at 4/6!


Today's novice chase at Huntingdon is a real headscratcher.


Huntingdon 2:50

Modicum 9/4

Desert Quest 4/1

Wee Forbees 4/1

Royals Darling 5/1

Caraman 9/1


Modicum is weighted to win and can be forgiven the last run on bad ground. On the other hand he has 7 2nd places from 12 runs, is ridden by Rose and is a Nicky Richards fave – which I always find worrying. I keep thinking a place bet at 4/5 is attractive but keep pulling away from recommending it.


Desert Quest has changed to the fledgling yard Gask is setting up, I think under Harry Findlay's patronage, and that could help him. He's got the class, and a track to suit, but prefers big fields and has looked far from natural. He is also badly weighted and prefers second to first.


Wee Forbees can be forgiven his first run and his second was a decent effort, where he kept up a relentless pace. He's been backed this morning which rather deters me from one possible way in – back him now to lay in running.


Royals Darling had a regresive profile last year, and I rather think the same will happen here. Again I was going to just suggest laying him, possibly even place laying, but he's drifted all morning accordingly. Caraman is from one of my fave stables, but is old to be chasing and has an overall record of 2-28. He does have a chance though, so you can see how tricky this is. Quinn has three decent horses here today and I'll do a cheeky treble.


However, I've looked at the race for a couple of hours now, so for the challenge the only sensible thing to do is to pass. I can't find anything else, so sadly today there is no bet.


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:41 AM

    There is certainly an angle with this match play golf .I permed seven of the outsiders last night and although I didn,t make a profit I certainly hit the bar.Stricker and Stenson will consider themselves fortunate to be still in the hat and it could so easily have gone my way ....still no cigar!!...jonah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting jonah. Thanks. There's certainly a logic to it.

    ReplyDelete