Saturday, February 09, 2008

Saturday 9th February

Don't forget the Villa game lunchtime – recommended yesterday.


Today, I'll add Bradford to the mix to beat Bury at 4/5. Bury are woeful and probably the price is being offered in places due to the football myth that new managers improve teams for their first few games. We'll make this a challenge bet.


I haven't a clear-cut racing bet today and should probably stick with the football for the challenge, but as most readers are primarily racing fans let's cobble something together.


Newbury 1:35

Heres Johnny 9/4

Mr Strachan 3/1

Battlecry 4/1

Ornais 11/2


A sketchy tissue. I can see reasons not to like a couple of these though. Ornais was flattered when beating Joe Lively as the race fell in his lap off a ridiculous pace, and he needs to improve his jumping. Here's Johnny also has Joe Lively formlines, but it looked to me that 3m really stretches him. A trip on the other hand is what Mr Strachan and Battlecry need. The former outstayed our old friend Kruguyrova and Battlecry has been wanting a trip all season. At 11-2 I'll play the latter and save on Mr Strachan.



Newbury 2:10

Voy Per Ustedes 6/4

Master Minded 6/4

L'antartique 8/1

Mahogany Blaze 8/1


The last two named are favourites of mine – can't see this suiting them though. I've never been in Voy Per Ustedes' camp – Alan King is a real expert at peaking horses and they can run stinkers accordingly. VPU did last year in this, which is a worry. Master Minded couldn't have been any more impressive on his debut and it's clear connections think he may be yet another special one. On the book this is a big ask and I couldn't make him a 'value' bet, but do feel this is his on the way to giving Nicholls a headache over whether to run him in the Champion Chase or Ryanair.



Newbury 3:20

Can't be arsed to put the tissue up. Suffice to say I have shortlisted 18 of the runners – so take your pick! For me, that means delving down into the lower reaches of the market. And for your delectation I have plumped for Pace Shot at any price you want. This is natuarally a huge stab in the dark – he won a seller two runs back for crissakes. Still, you can forgive him floundering in Sandown's mud last time out, his trainer is a wizard at 2m hurdle handicappers and for a horse that once came 4th in a Triumph he's settled nicely in the weights. Naturally, he's much more likely to be tailed off and pulled up after a mile, but with 17 quality opponents I'd rather cadge a ride with him than back one of the market leaders at silly odds. Kings Quay is one of my stable horses. I'll play him as well, but in my head, whilst the flat track is Ok, he's a speed course horse.


We'll avoid Kruguyrova in a tricky heat (though I'm sure my mugpunter head will force a punt). Which leaves Ayr.


Ayr 2:55

Cloudy Lane evens

Jonnys Kick 4/1


Cloudy Lane is a bit of a hype horse and he won't be hit here. He also has to give close to two stone in soft ground to the only other legitimate contender. On the other hand he travels so well, and Jonny's Kick looks very likely to bounce. Again, no proper value, just a sense that Cloudy Lane will continue on the up. (For what it's worth I wouldn't be so keen on his National chances – he may make a fool of me, but I think he may lack the stamina when push comes to shove).


I think my get rich quick scheme will focus on Master Minded and Cloudy Lane and build up trebles etc around them.



So – two lots of challenge bets today.



£500 Challenge

£20 Bradford beat Bury at 4/5


£6 Battlecry at 11/2

£6 Master Minded at 6/4

£6 Cloudy Lane at 5/4

£1 win Pace Shot at 200/1+ and £1 place at 20/1+

3 comments:

  1. 1:45pm and today has disaster written all over it! Villa losing, Battlecry pulled up, and reflection making me wonder why I think Master Minded is a good price, or why Cloudy Lane will carry topweight through heavy going in a prep race.

    Deep breath for me, and a circumspect finger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things looks rosier half an hour later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worked out pretty well in the end - shame about Bradford, and I was hopeful Kings Quay would land a treble and replace my wife's salary in one fell swoop!

    ReplyDelete