Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Wednesday 27th February

Good grief – did the earth move for you last night? I woke to the sound of a freight train coming through the bedroom, and immediately suffered a traumatic flashback to the night of the flood.


I have experienced an earthquake before in Seattle, so after a) arming myself against intruders; b) checking all possible sources of flooding; c) checking the boiler for explosions; d) generally stumbling naked round the house; e) having a pee; f) answering an array of pointless questions from wife who hadn't heard earthquake; it immediately occurred to me half an hour later that it may have been an earthquake!


I fired up the laptop to see. Bizarrely I'd recommend the betfair racing forum as the quickest source of news as the first posting about the earthquake was at 01:00 exactly, a good ten minutes quicker than newsnow.com or the BBC.


So, flood and earthquake down – fire, pestilence and plague now boarding...


After that night's sleeplessness (and my wife said I had one of my nightmares later where I scream in my sleep – she thinks I was probably reliving the flood, but it's more likely I was reliving the Stoke game from last night), I'm not surprised that the challenge bet is a bit off-piste.


I narrowed the day to three choices.


Firstly, I looked at Beggars Cap at Southwell, but 4/11 doesn't appeal about a horse that can't even beat Chaninbar, regardless of how poor the opposition looks.


Secondly I considered unders in the Middlesbrough/Sheff Utd replay. I think I need to do some work on pricing for this type of bet, because I don't have any confidence about whether there's any value in the price, so I passed.


Finally, I ended up looking at Boo Weekley in a moderate Honda Classic field, as the player with the most solid current form and the best decent course form. He's actually ranked third this year in the stats. However, being a challenge bet we won't be greedy.



£500 Challenge

Boo Weekley £2 ew at 28/1 and £16 top 10 at 11/4+

No comments:

Post a Comment