Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Weds 20th August

£500 Challenge Bet” (£1157 – 4 bets inplay – accounted)


I was going to have this as a barking bet, but given the continued absence of York, let's move it up as the main bet.

Usain Bolt will win today. But break the world record? I doubt it. Even if he gets the wind; even if he isn't tired from all the races AND the attention; even if he actually runs through the line; even if someone makes a race of it, and even if he improves his bend running I still think he'll come up short. For now. And so does Michael Johnson. And frankly, if you've been paying attention over the last few years that should be enough.

Usain Bolt not to break 200m world record £30 at 1.35+




Barking Bets” (Banked £875/Current bank £2907)
Damn – back where we started the week.

Three potential races in half an hour this evening –
Newton Abbott 6:40 and 7:10, and Folkestone 6:25

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:19 AM

    Hi Toots.
    Totally agree about Bolt,managed to get 1.55 a few days ago.Maybe I am beginning to think like you (I hope so).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:08 PM

    I also agree with your contrarian bet regarding Bolt and the 200m record.

    Michael Johnson (and he should know) stated that this distance requires speed AND stamina. If Bolt’s training has been geared toward speed to win the 100m (remember Johnson is a 400 meter champion and ‘had’ stamina in abundance) then the odds should be in your favour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Toots,
    Any thoughts on the 6:40 Newton? Even though I'm an optimist at heart, I'm struggling to see past Roby de Cimbre, and although odds are short should probably win unless UR or PU. I'm tempted by the large odds on Think of the Money, I reckon might surprise.

    What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do we know!

    Ouch and ouch.

    boon - the fave for me - probable barking bet at better than 4/1on - not that I like backing shorties on v soft ground

    good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:30 PM

    Bolt 1 Slipperytoad 0. truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:19 PM

    Gary i,m off to Chester Thursday night ,I know its below par to say the least but if you have a quik scan and fancy anthing would appreciate your thoughts plz...Jonah

    ReplyDelete